WHY JOIN TACS?
The Texas Association of Community Schools (TACS)
- Provides advocacy before the state legislature and state agencies.
- Monitors Legislative Committee hearings and provides testimony for laws that benefit small, mid-sized, and rural schools.
- Monitors State Board of Education meetings.
- Works with TEA and advocates for rules favorable to TACS members
- Encourages and rewards student academic achievement.
- Sponsors the TACS Academic Challenge – over $75,000 in scholarships awarded last year to students for advanced training.
- Provides a monthly newsletter focused on instruction and instructional practices.
- Supports and defends the small/sparse formula and the mid-sized school finance adjustment, and worked to end the small school penalty for districts less than 300 square miles.
- Provides outstanding professional development to professional educators and school board members with reduced registration for members.
- Three regional conferences each year – Tyler in east Texas, Abilene in west Texas, and Lubbock for panhandle/South Plains schools.
- Yearly San Antonio conference each September with three days of activities and two days of quality programming.
- Quality one day trainings each focused on a topic of interest to school leaders. We just completed school finance template training that was well received.
- Two legal workshops each year on timely topics presented in various parts of the state with attorneys from Walsh Gallegos Treviño Russo & Kyle, PC.
- Effectively collaborates with other educational groups, parents, religious groups, political organizations and others to benefit Texas public schools, public school employees, and public school students.
- Provides professional liability insurance for member school districts and their employees at a reduced rate through Association Insurance Management (AIM).
- Member premium is $55 annually for $1,000,000 policy.
- Non-member premium is $85 annually for a $1,000,000 policy.
- One consultation with an attorney with Powell & Leon, LLP each year (excludes research).
- Provides one (1) hour of contract evaluation and compensation comparison for superintendents who are members of TACS via TCG Advisors.
- Provides one (1) hours of TCG Advisors cybersecurity consulting to member districts.
COMPLETE THE APPLICATION
The mission of the Texas Association of Community Schools is to promote, support and develop excellence in student achievement through the collaboration of member schools.